|Title of the article
PROBLEM OF VALIDITY OF QUALITATY METHODS IN SOCIOLOGICAL RESEARCH
Kosharnaya Galina Borisovna, Doctor of sociological sciences, professor, head of sub-department of sociology and human resource management, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. At the present time the quality methods of research are becoming more and more spread in sociology. The quality methods (observation, case-study, focus-groups, depth interview) may be an effective and cheap instrument of sociological research, however it requires clear understanding of capacities of the said method and limitation in its application. The aim of the research is to reveal the features of using quality methods in sociology and criteria of validity thereof.
Materials and methods. Realization of the research objectives was achieved on the basis of the analysis of scientific ideas by Russian and foreign sociologists, described in the works on quality methods in sociological research. The theoretical base included fundamental works by sociologists, containing conceptual ideas of reliability and validity of quality methods, and first of all of depth interview and focus- groups. In solution of the objectives set the author used the general scientific methods, such as analysis and synthesis, induction and deduction.
Results. On the basis of the theoretical analysis the researcher revealed the characteristics features of quality methods of research, advantages and limitation thereof; and substantiated the criteria of validity thereof.
Conclusions. Validity of the quality methods can only be achieved with the use of elements of the quantity methods.
quality methods, depth interview, focus-groups, validity of quality methods, narrative interview.
|| Download PDF
1. Tompson D. L., Pristli D. Sotsiologiya: vvodnyy kurs: [per. s angl.] [Sociology: introduction: translation from English]. Moscow, 1998.
2. Semenova V. V. Kachestvennye metody: vvedenie v gumanisticheskuyu sotsiologiyu [Quality methods: introduction into humanistic sociology]. Moscow, 1998.
3. Tolstova Yu. N. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya [Sociological research]. 2001, no. 7.
4. Tezaurus sotsiologii. Metodologiya i metody sotsiologicheskikh issledovaniy: temat. slovar'-spravochnik [Sociological thesaurus. Methodoly and methods of sociological research: reference dictionary]. Ed. by Zh. T. Toshchenko. Moscow, 2013.
5. Hess J. M. King New Science of Planning. Chicago, 1968.
6. Asbury J.-E. Qualitative Health Research. 1995, vol. 5, no. 4.
7. Belanovskiy S. A. Metod fokus-grupp [Focus-group method]. Moscow, 1996.
8. Bogoslovskaya K. Reklamist [Advertiser]. 1996, no. 2.
9. Kreuger R. A. Focus groups: A practical guide for applied research. London, 1988.
10. Tatarova G. G., Chekhovskiy I. V. Sotsiologiya 4M [4M sociology]. 2012, no. 34.
11. Edmunds H. Focus Group Research Hadbook. New York: Paramount Market Publishing. Inc., 2001.
12. Morgan D. L. Focus groups as qualitative research. London, 1988, p. 42.
Дата создания: 09.02.2015 13:53
Дата обновления: 10.02.2015 09:17